some thumbnails of my illustrations

some thumbnails of my illustrations
Please click on the links below to view my portfolio ........ Images copyright of Carrie Osborne

Wednesday 31 March 2010

Life drawing - old and new...

30 minute pose
Life drawing is a great love of mine - I've been hooked since the age of 17 and done various fits and starts of it over the last 15 years... The last serious bout was an 8 week evening course 2years ago with a superb tutor - Sean Slater of Line and Form. His life paintings are wonderful and he's one of the best life tutors I have known, I learnt so much from him.
But of course, just as I felt I was starting to make real progress, the course ended. I managed one of his 6 hour life workshops which was excellent (& exhausting!) but its just a little too far to travel often.
Here are some more of the drawings I did with Sean's excellent tutorage...
One minute gesture poses which I love doing and are an invaluable warm up...
1minute again
30 minute pose

45 minute pose

1 hour pose
I wish I'd carried on from that point, but life gets in the way (in a big way sometimes!). I've been hankering after starting up again as regularly as possible, so I was really pleased to find an untutored drop in life group just 5 minutes away!
So, my first life drawings in two years? I felt very out of practice and there weren't many I could show without cringing - but it's a start, and I really enjoyed it... so here they are...
2 minutes

5 minutes

5 minutes

10 minutes

Looking forward to next weeks session...

4 comments:

  1. Hello Carrie, thanks for your kind words and for inviting me here :) it is a really lovely place you have begun and I wish you great adventures in blog land!
    Best wishes from Dartmoor
    Rima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rima,
    Thanks so much for dropping by and for commenting! It's put a smile on my face!
    Glad you liked it...
    Carrie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, i love life drawing but had to give it up as it was too far to travel, 5 min sketches are the best as you dont have time to hesitate, just to get it down on the paper, great for me as i am too much of a perfectionist! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruthie,
    I like the short poses too, starting off with 1 or 2 minute poses really helps to break through the faffing!I had a fantastic tutor years ago who got us drawing left handed or with both hands, and also to do quick gesture sketches of moving poses! Really forces you to free up and work differently!
    I hope you get a chance to do some more life drawing at some point... :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments, please type away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails