some thumbnails of my illustrations

some thumbnails of my illustrations
Please click on the links below to view my portfolio ........ Images copyright of Carrie Osborne

Sunday 4 April 2010

Tales of Eostre and a wander in the woods...

'Eostre and the wounded bird'
copyright of Carrie Osborne.

Here is an Easter sketch for you!
I'm sure most of you already know of the tale of the bird Eostre transformed into a hare... and although I know it has no real historical basis and is more of a 'modern' myth as such, I like it and tell it to my children for the sheer pleasure of its story telling ...
In brief...

...Once when spring was late in coming, a young girl found a bird dying in the snow, its wings frozen with winter's frost. She called on Eostre, the Goddess of the Dawn to help and so she came over a rainbow bridge, bringing spring with her robes of sunlight and warmth and melting the snow. Eostre healed the bird but could not make it whole, so to save its life she transformed it into a snow hare. The hare who was once a bird, still laid eggs but of rainbow colours and gave them to Eostre in gratitude...
Eostre is also said to have Hare attendants to carry her lanterns of dawn-light...

In our world, the sun shone long enough today for easter egg hunts in the garden and a winding walk through the woods...


We saw buds on trees, deer slots, ferns clinging to moss clad limbs, sodden badger sets and a fallen silver birch with bark that shone ghost pale in every colour of mother-of-pearl. (But alas my camera just wasn't up to capturing that!)

Happy Easter!

8 comments:

  1. carrie i love the composition & delicacy of your sketch, its such a beautiful story too. Your woodland walks below look great, we love to get out and about and woods are my most favourite of places to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ruthie!
    I'm waiting for the bluebells in May...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    I found your blog a few days ago! You are a an amazing artist and I am glad you took courage to show your art work through the "blog world", putting a little of your self "out there".
    I will come for a visit and delight once in a while!
    Sorry my english (!)
    Joana - from magical Estrela Mountains in Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joana,
    Thank you so much for your kind words!I'm glad to know you found my blog and liked it!
    I am very new to 'blogworld' so its quite exciting to get some comments and lovely to hear from you...
    And your English is fantastic!
    Look forward to your vists :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, there is something so breath taking about coming across a sea of blue in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know this story. Your illustration is beautifully done. Lovely photographs too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Blog and Great Post !
    Thought you might like my Eostra/Equinox machinima video that i made with Lisa Thiel's Ostara song
    and my poem written for Eostre
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lZ-YKIeXww
    bright blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful drawing :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments, please type away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails