some thumbnails of my illustrations

some thumbnails of my illustrations
Please click on the links below to view my portfolio ........ Images copyright of Carrie Osborne

Monday 3 January 2011

The Holly King and the Oak King, not quite as you've seen them before!


Yes, I'm doing the proud mother bit...! Helping my elder daughter finish her christmas holiday homework - yes homework at 6 years old, she did such a fantastic picture of the Holly King handing over his crown to the Oak King, I thought I'd show it off! The Oak King is complete with green beard and squirrals after the acorns in his pockets...
I know traditionally in some versions at least each brother King slays the other to gain the crown, although in other versions the Oak King is newborn at Midwinter, his strength waxing as the Holly King's power wanes, but for now my children know a slightly less in depth version of the myth which I think is fine and they seem to enjoy.
I think my daughter's fine picture may have have inspired me to do a version of my own sooner or later, squirrals and all!

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful drawing! I especially like the enthusiastic smiles and the half red, half green sun that looks surprised. OH and so many other details! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you and yours and a special greeting to the Kings and their creator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely and full of details, such as objects sticking out of the pockets. Smiles on the faces show how much this was enjoyed. When I was teaching it was wonderful to see what great imagination children have and put in their drawings.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments, please type away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails